Tweaking the shoulder press.
When performing the shoulder press, make sure to follow these simple rules:
- Use a shoulder width stance.
- Keep the heels down at all times.
- Always keep the knees locked.
- Keep the quadriceps(thigh muscles), glutes (your bum) tight while pressing.
- Keep tension in the abdominals.
- Keep an neutral spine, don’t lean back.
- Don’t let the elbows flare out.
- Lock the elbows out and push the shoulders up at the top of the press.
- The weight should finish directly over head with the biceps in line with the ears.
Always maintain full body tension during the press by contracting the quads and glutes while engaging the abdominals. This tension will not only give you a stronger press, but will protect your back as well. Remember, tension=strength.
Many are under the miss conception that the shoulder press is primarily an upper body movement. When done properly, using the list above, this functional and full body motion
will blast the mid section big time.
Choose your weapon
Challenge yourself by pressing different objects. Here are a few options to keep it interesting, prevent burnout and bedim:
- Olympic bar
- Medicine balls
- Rubber bands
- Your kids